I’ve been gone a while. I’m back now, and everything’s different. I’m not sure where to start– so, in no particular order, here we go.
- I’m a married person now. We had a sweet, tiny, non-sexist ceremony in my sister’s house with only about 30 people attending. A week later, we had a giant fancy party with over 300 people attending. Both things turned out to be a lot nicer than I’d imagined they’d be. Mostly because C and I really lucked out in the friends and family department ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- I live in Andheri West. That’s over an hour away from Thane, where I’ve spent the last 26 years of my life. Andheri doesn’t fit me properly yet. I don’t always know where to find what and how far away something is.
But here’s the good stuff: I’m a lot closer to most of my friends, and to most probable scenes. I’ve been going out without a big backpack and sometimes without a bottle of water even. Somedays I take a rickshaw home instead of an uber, and pay less than 200 bucks! It’s a strange feeling. And it’s really very liberating. I could get used to this, I suppose :)
- Our new house is my new favourite place in the whole world. C and I both care very deeply about interiors and home setup. Our house is bright and funky and warm and cosy in the nicest of ways, and at the moment, there isn’t a single object in here that we don’t love wholeheartedly. Someday I’ll make a proper standalone post about it. Maybe I’ll even try submitting to Apartment Therapy. But for now, all I can say is that I love this place :)
- I’ve been unemployed for 2 months now. For the first time since 2011. Unemployment doesn’t sit well with me :\ I spent a month doing wedding work, then half a month setting up house. It’s finally time to chill now, and turns out I’m really not very good at chilling. So, though I was really looking forward to this break, I think I’m ready to start feeling purposeful again. In the second week of Jan I’ll get started with my portfolio, and begin working on a single product with C.
- I want to be making things soon. In a few months or a year from now, I hope we’ll be selling something analog and awesome somewhere on the internet. It’s a far fetched dream, and it’s all pretty hazy right now. But I’m hoping we’ll make it happen somehow.
- A lot has happened in the past few months. And this is what I’ve learned from it–
- Big life changes are only supremely scary in anticipation. Everything is a lot more surmountable once you’re on the other side. People adapt to changed circumstances, new rhythms emerge. The pieces all fall into place eventually.
- There are way too many people in our lives who are willing to put our needs before theirs. It’s incredible and it’s touching and it’s very, very humbling. It’s also made me promise myself that the next time a close friend gets married or moves house or any such thing, I’ll go the extra mile and do everything I can to help out.
- It’s kind of impossible for me to run a house like clockwork the way my mom does. Not without a lot of hired help anyway. December’s been chaotic– with parties every few days and bad food and booze and staying up late. And no exercise, no work, and no productive routines to speak of. Come Jan, we’re going to have to figure this shit out. And I really hope we do it right. Because I’ve been raised with too much discipline to fall off the wagon now.
That’s all for now, Zonk. I’m sorry I’ve been so quiet this year. 2017 was a year in transit, and I’ve just been flitting between places and roles. I swear I’ll be more regular next year.