Shit. It’s weird to read yourself when Drunk.
I never did give you an update about my resolutions for the year. But we’ll get to that later.
I’m talking to you this early in the day because I’m not allowed to open Instagram on my phone for a couple days, until it slips out of its shameful spot in the first row of my frequently opened apps.
I’ve been tracking my phone usage lately, and I’ve found that I sometimes spend up to half an hour a day on Instagram. That doesn’t sound like very much, but it is time spent compulsively opening, closing and scrolling through the app. It’s time I’ve used mindlessly. And in my case, it’s only second to how much I use Telegram.
Honestly, Telegram’s fine. I use it to talk to my best friends through the day, and I think that’s important to me. Plus I’ve started to put my phone on do not disturb while working, so I’m not chatting constantly. I also often quit the Telegram desktop app to keep the convenience of chatting while at work down to a minimum.
Instagram though – I could do with less of a habit there.
In other news I started work on my portfolio yesterday and I’m excited about it. Wish me luck :)
Part I – in which I take stock of things.
It’s not January One. It’s January Two. But we both know that is just a technicality. I’m taking a break from work right now and I think I might as well take stock of things.
2018 – The Good
- C and I set up a home that we love. Last year, I’d decided to make an Apartment Therapy submission about it. This year, I’m finally dropping the idea. If it’s taken this long to materialise, it’s clearly not a priority.
- We did our longest ever trip and it was amazing. It cleaned us out, mind. But it was amazing, nonetheless.
- I’ve taken a whole year of violin lessons now. And I’m much better than I used to be. That isn’t saying much, and yes I could have done more, but it’s something.
- I went part time for real. I’ve dabbled in freelance on the side (did not enjoy that), I’ve tried to keep very strict hours (and failed). I’ve learned to loosen up. The guilt still strikes very, very regularly. But I think I’m a wee bit more relaxed.
- I started up my comic book project again. Bleak Person Chronicles is very much a thing now. And I have an actual deadline and a small thing to work towards as well. More about that later.
- I ran my first ever 10k.
2018 – The Bad
- I’ve felt poorer than I’ve ever felt before. This is not because I’m earning a lot lesser — I’m not. I’m earning a decent amount. But living on rent in Mumbai is expensive. This year, I need to make more.
- I’ve failed on every level as a disciplined adult. I’m gonna say that this was a transitionary period. I was adjusting to my new life. But, one year is plenty of time to adjust. I need to get my shit together now.
- I am still as much of a potato as ever. That one time I ran a 10k notwithstanding.
2018 – The Ugly
Okay I don’t know what I’m supposed to say here. So I’ll just go back to work now.
I need to stop partying on school nights. Yesterday’s party was tame, and it ended early, and I think I got at least 5 hours of sleep. But still. Alcohol upsets things inside me. A point in my head is slightly achy today. I have no appetite. And, of course, I’m sleepy.
What’s worse is, I’d just recovered from last week’s sleep debt yesterday morning.
Oh well. I must go back to work now.
- Go to the dentist.
- Meet a friend about some work.
- Take my mom to the mall.
- Finish a bunch of client work.
- Watch another friend try on wedding clothes.
I better go work then.